Thursday, June 2, 2016

NATURAL TOUCHSTONES

mrandmrscharlie on Instagram

Stephanie Dalton's new painting inspired me today. It reminds me of riverine krantzes, pebble beaches, driftwood and rock pools. 


Stephanie Dalton. Click to go to Stephanie's website

I enjoyed Stephanie's artist statement ..... and wish I had written it myself.

"It is the quieter side of the world that inspires my abstract works, the feelings that arise through a connection with the natural world. Colorful patterns in stone, aged patinas on walls, and fragmented light on the horizon are some natural touchstones for me." - Stephanie Dalton


Small wild basket by Robyn Gordon

My own work is often inspired by my connection with nature. Long walks and foraging on beaches set the mood for beginning new carvings. Once I was inspired by clumps of sea reeds that were washed up on the beach after heavy storms and decided  there and then to sit down and create my first wild basket for the few small treasures I had found. It is a very rudimentary basket but for the time I spent creating it I was totally absorbed.

"Beach Walk" a work in progress by Robyn Gordon

Beach walks have inspired many of my carvings. 


A piece from the River to Wood series by Hannah Lamb

I'm intrigued with how artists interpret what they have seen and how they bring meaningful moments into their artwork.

Hannah Lamb's " creative practice focuses on walking and making as methods of reconnecting with the world immediately around us. Personal, emotional responses to environment and surface are recorded through stitch, print, photography and construction, piecing together fragments of place and time."

Hannah's River to Wood series explores the landscape of the River Aire. 

"Short journeys, walking from home to Hirst Wood, collecting marks, prints and found materials." - Hannah Lamb

Talking about wild baskets and inspiration, I found some delightful images on mrandmrscharlie's Instagram blog.













"The artist is a receptacle for emotions that come from all over the place: from the sky, from the earth, from a scrap of paper, from a passing shape, from a spider's web." - Pablo Picasso



Old papers and Japanese Wood by inspiration.h.o.m.e on Istagram. Love this one!

48 comments:

  1. i so enjoy the collections of natural things. A basket made in and of nature is the perfect way to display them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I have searched for the sea reeds on every holiday since but haven't found more. Hopefully after the next storm I will find more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful post Robyn. Serene and inspiring! Your 'beach walk' piece is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful images... love the baskets in the last photos - those driftwood colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get palpitations when I visit mrandmrscharlie on Instagram. Their baskets are particularly beautiful, as simple as they are.

      Delete
    2. I just visited there... wow. I don't "do" the Instagram thing, but I do recognize a bunch of the images from pinterest and I surely have pinned a bunch! Love the driftwood color-mood everywhere. In another life, that would be my color palette - less moss green and more driftwood and washed out indigo linen blue. The baskets remind me a bit of Ruth Osawa's work a bit, too.

      Delete
  5. just what I needed this morning...thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen when I woke up this morning I felt the need to connect with nature. Besides a walk in the garden, preparing this post helped. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  6. Enjoyable post, Robyn. It took me back to fossiking with my daughter (HHnB) on the local seashore, when she was over from Oz with her husband recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that word fossiking! I remember your dear daughter mentioning it way back in a post. I'm sure you all had a wonderful time together during her recent visit.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post and images, love your Beach Walk. I often admire other artist's statements, I find it very hard to put my feelings about my work into words.
    Stephanie and Hannah's words are so expressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love inspiring artist statements! And as you say they are rather daunting to write one's own. I've had the same statement for years and I just cant bring myself to update it.

      Delete
  8. I just can't tell you how delighted I am Robyn to switch on and be able to see your exquisite work again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thanks Pat, I appreciate that!It's great to see all the familiar names and faces.

      Delete
  9. so good to linger awhile here in this peaceful space of thoughtful words and pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to be appreciated in this little sanctuary of mine.

      Delete
  10. That's a beautiful post - fed my soul this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robyn - I have just told my son, who is a musician, to look at your work. He has sent me an e mail to say he has added you to his blogroll as he loves what he sees. So watch out for him (dominic rivron).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I remember you writing about him on your blog.

      Delete
  12. Great post, Robyn! Love the art you have selected. The earthy colors are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so drawn to the natural, earthy palette. Thanks Gaby.

      Delete
  13. Love all these baskets -- your included. Once again, glad to see you back :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Seth. My basket is not in that league but it was fun to make it.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful blog post... on nature and wabi sabi... and all the images and especially your works are beautiful. I love the idea of 'forage'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. Yes forage is an exciting word. It create's so many pictures of happy times in my head.

      Delete
  15. how grand to see you after all this time! your new site looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful wander this has been with you Robyn - and the palette just makes my heart sing. Thank you for your nests and baskets - so precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh this nature ramble suited me too. Thank you Fiona.

      Delete
  17. gorgeous post, and so nice to see you back here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many people helped to persuade me to try blogging again and you are one of them...so thanks, Cat!

      Delete
  18. This whole post is stunningly beautiful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. hiking through this post is a good thing to be doing on a rainy sunday in the north country. thank you, i am glad to see some action over here, still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly getting back into the swing of blogging. I'm happy to see so many familiar faces.

      Delete
  20. Very inspiring post Robyn. Reminds me of my beach fossicking days many moons ago - special times when reconnecting to self <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a wonderful way to unwind. Wandering, gathering and pondering.

      Delete
  21. Aaaaahhhhh,so wonderful to have you back. I don't do Facebook, and have missed you. Beautiful and oh so inspiring,,,,as all your posts are.
    I feel like I've come 'home'. Thank you for being here.
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Babs. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  22. belle nature ..une caverne d'ali baba!:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea! Ali Baba's Cave. Thanks Elfi!

      Delete
  23. Apricity . . . Mo is a mine of wonder. I looked it up here (http://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/winter-words/apricity) and loved everything I read. It reminded me of a 7 year-old's inventive spelling 'beaututiful' . . . we adopted it as meaning too beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is indeed. I should have mentioned to click on Apricity to read up about the word. I look forward to reading the merriam-webster meaning. Beaututiful....just perfect :-) Thanks Wendy.

      Delete
  24. I could look at these images all day. I especially love the wild baskets; they remind me of basket-like art that I used to make and now I feel a keen desire to make them again. I would LOVE to have all those shells, bones and sticks! Well, my husband would probably say I have enough already...lol. "Beach Walk" is beautiful beyond words. I would so love to sit down and have a chat with you - we have so much in common...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ohhhh that would be wonderful Sharmon! I know we have a lot in common. I'm thinking your studio would be a good place to have a chat :-)

    ReplyDelete